Access to Information
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) at Hôpital Montfort
''Access to Information is a fundamental right for all. Here at Montfort, this right is an integral part of our values of excellence, respect and openness toward our community.'
El Mostafa Bouattane, Chief Privay Officer
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) is a provincial legislation that came into effect on January 1, 1988. Beginning January 1, 2012, all hospitals in Ontario are subject to FIPPA. To ensure full compliance with the Act, we now have a Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Office.
The Act has two main purposes:
- To make public bodies more transparent and accountable by providing individuals with the right of access to government records.
- To protect personal information from unauthorized collection, use or disclosure by public bodies and to provide individuals with a right of access to that information.
The Act applies to records in the custody or control of the hospital since January 1st, 2007. Upon request, certain records must be made available, subject to limited exemptions as provided for in the Act.
Access to General Records
You do not always need to submit a formal freedom of information request to access information from the Hospital.
- Information can be found on our website. It contains readily available records including hospital statistics, plans, reports and other documents.
- If you cannot find the information on this website, consider requesting it from the department or area of the hospital you believe may have what you are looking for. The department or area will tell you whether the information can be provided to you informally, or whether you will have to submit a formal freedom of information request.
- Whether you submit a formal or an informal request, please refer to our Directory of Records, located under the Access and Privacy section, to determine the exact information you are seeking. This will enable us, to assist you better.
- Disclosed documents are provided in their original written language.
About the Access to Information and Privacy Office
This office oversees the application of FIPPA and PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act) in our organization.
We manage complaints and privacy breaches with regards to both laws.
We process the following requests under FIPPA:
- Request for access to General Records - Fees apply.
- Request for access to Own Personal Information - Fees apply.
- Request for correction to Own Personal Information
How can we help?
You can find all of our access forms online.
Our Directory of Records and Personal Information Bank are available on our website. It may help you specify your request.
You can visit us during business hours (8:00 – 16:00). We are in the D Wing, basement level, at 00D135.
Our reading room is at 00D133A.
Need to call? We can be reached at 613-746-4621, ext. 2925 or 2998.
Our Access to Information and Privacy Protection Coordinator
Access to Information and Privacy Protection
Tel :(613) 746-4621, ext. 2909
Fax: (613) 748-4949